|Molecular mass||440.000 Da|
|Synthesis||e.g. liver, endothelial cells, fibroblasts|
|Half-Life||24 - 72 hours|
|Plasma concentration||300 mg/l|
|Normal range||150 - 720 mg/l|
Fibronectin (cold-insoluble globulin) is found in plasma and in the extracellular matrix. The fibrillary glycoprotein is composed of two peptide chains that are connected by a disulfide bridge. Binding sites for heparin, fibrin/fibrinogen, collagen, von Willebrand factor and cell adhesion domains are localized on the molecule. These domains are necessary for the function: Fibronectin mediates cell adhesion to components of the extracellular matrix via cellular receptors. Cellular growth and wound healing are accelerated. When fibrin is formed, fibronectin adheres to fibrin and is covalently linked by cross-linking by factor XIII.
In the cold, fibronectin is co-precipitated with fibrinogen (cold-insoluble globulin). Fibronectin is also responsible for the precipitation of factor VIII and von Willebrand factor in the cold and for the formation of cryoprecipitates in certain diseases.
Acquired fibronectin deficiency can be caused by altered synthesis and / or increased consumption, e.g. by liver diseases, asparaginase therapy, consumption coagulopathy, post-traumatic, post-operatively and sepsis.
- Marker for the compensation ability of an organism in:
- Septic shock
- Consumption coagulopathy
- Differential diagnosis of malignant diseases (elevated levels of fibronectin in malignant ascites)
- Mosesson MW, Amrani DL, Review : The structure and biological activities of plasma fibronectin. Blood 56 (2), 145-158, 1980.
- Miekka SI, Ingham KC, Menache D, Rapid methods for isolation of human plasma fibronectin. Thromb Res 27,1-14, 1982.
- Quitt M, Froom P, Aghai E, Balan E, Hornstein L. Plasma fibronectin levels in patients with coronary artery disease. Isr J Med Sci 30, 907-909, 1994.
- Corbett SA, Lee L, Wilson CL, Schwarzbauer JE, Covalent cross-linking of fibronectin to Fibrin is required for maximal cell adhesion to a fibronectin-fibrin matrix. J Biol Chem 272 (40), 24999-25005, 1997.
- Magnusson MK, Mosher DF. Fibronectin - Structure, Assembly, and cardiovascular implications, Art Thromb Vasc Biol 18, 1363-1370, 1998.
- Maurer LM, Ma W, Mosher DF. Dynamic structure of plasma fibronectin. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. Jul-Aug 51(4), 213-27, 2015.
- Wang Y, Ni H. Fibronectin maintains the balance between hemostasis and thrombosis. Cell Mol Life Sci. Sep 73(17), 3265-77, 2016.