Press release from EDQM regarding Bacterial Endotoxin Test (BET)
Recombinant Endotoxin analysis with the Haemotox® rFC
On December 11, 2019 The European Pharmacopoeia Commission in Strasbourg (EDQM) announced in a Pharmacopoeia (Ph.Eur.) press release that chapter 2.6.32 ("test for bacterial endotoxins using recombinant factor C") shall be included in the 10th edition of the European Pharmacopoeia (Ph.Eur).
The new chapter 2.6.32 shall be published on July 1, 2020 in the Ph.Eur. supplement 10.3 and shall be valid as of January 1, 2021. The planned time schedule may be seen here.
The Haemotox® rFC shall thus be legally equal to the LAL test methods.By the future compendial status of the method it allows the recombinant technology to be implemented without a cross validation. This is a further important step to assure product security without animal related test methods.
The recombinant production of Factor C offers further advantages in comparison to the traditional LAL-testing. False positive results caused by 1,3- beta-D-glucans do not occur. Charge related variations in the sensitivity are unlikely.
- Rabe FW & Friberger P. Endotoxinbestimmung mit einer neuen quantitativen Methode. Forum Mikrobiologie 10, 176-180, 1987.
- Barclay GR. Endotoxin-core antibodies: time for a reappraisal? Int Care Med 25, 427-429, 1999.
- Young NS et al. An invertebrate coagulation system activated by endotoxin: Evidence for enzymatic mediation. J Clin Invest 51, 1790, 1972.
- Redl H et al. Special Collection and Storage Tubes for Blood Endotoxin and Cytokine Measurements. Clin Chem 38/5, 764-765, 1992.
- Friberger P et al. A quantitative endotoxin assay utilizing LAL and a chromogenic substrate. In endotoxins and their detection with the Limulus Amebocyte Lysate test. Prog Clin Biol Res 93, Eds. Watson SW, Levin J & Novitisky TJ, Alan R. Liss Inc. NY, 1982.
- Bacterial Endotoxins. European Pharmacopoeia-Supplement 2001, 79-87.
- USP-24, <85> Bacterial Endotoxins Test., 2001, 2875-2879.